As your rural electric cooperative, we’re happy to provide you with ways in which you can do your part to keep your home running efficiently, which not only cuts down on your carbon footprint, but also saves you money.
Heating & Cooling
With the region’s sweltering summers and bitterly cold winters, keeping your home at a comfortable temperature all year long can seem overwhelming. We’ve got some ways to keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer while keeping your power affordable.
- Switch it up! Replace your heating system filter every 2-3 months. A dirty filter slows the flow of air, causing it to use more energy.
- Turn it down! Lowering the thermostat by just one degree can save up to 3 percent in electricity costs for heating.
- Clear it out! Clean off your baseboard heaters and vents to improve air flow and reduce your energy use.
- See more ways to efficiently heat and cool your home.
It might seem obvious to turn off your lights when you leave a room, but when it comes to lighting there are many more ways you can save on your electric bill.
- Outside after dark? Use solar-powered outdoor lighting in your garden or along your sidewalk.
- Light it up! LED bulbs are another great alternative to traditional light bulbs. ENERGY STAR®-qualified LEDs use less energy and can last up to 25 times longer than ordinary bulbs.
- Out with the old! Replacing old or damaged light fixtures not only helps you save money, but they’re often safer as well.
- See more ways to make your lighting more efficient.
Refrigerators. Dishwashers. Even your toaster takes energy to run. But there are several ways you can keep your appliances running efficiently while keeping your costs down.
- Grill it up! Keep the oven turned off and make use of your outdoor grill.
- Cool it off! Lower the temperature on your water heater to 120° for energy bill savings.
- Seal it up! Check the seal on your refrigerator to make sure it’s airtight. If the seal is letting cold air escape, consider replacing the liner or purchasing a new, ENERGY STAR® refrigerator.
- See more ways to make your appliances efficient.
The ENERGY STAR® program is a joint effort between the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Energy created to help individuals and businesses protect the environment by being more energy efficient.
In 2009 alone, ENERGY STAR® products and programs helped conserve enough energy to save nearly $17 billion on utility bills.
While the initial price tag on an ENERGY STAR® appliance is more than a non-certified counterpart, utilizing an ENERGY STAR® appliance in your home could reduce your energy bill by up to one-third, saving you significantly more over time. Plus, you may qualify for tax credits and rebates.