Looking to save energy in the kitchen this weekend? Follow these simple tips!
- Turn the oven or stove burners off a few minutes before your food is ready —they will remain hot enough to finish cooking the food.
- Don’t preheat the oven unless you are baking or a recipe requires it.
- Bake with ceramic or glass pots and pans— this will allow you to lower the oven temperature by about 25 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Self-cleaning ovens use less energy for normal cooking because of the higher insulation levels built into them. If you own one, plan to clean it right after you've finished baking something so it doesn't have to heat up a second time.
- Don't peek. Opening the oven door can lower the internal temperature as much as 25 percent.
- Don't cover oven racks with foil. This reduces heat flow and increases cooking time.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!