Summer has arrived and with it comes the possibility of dangerous summer storms. Here are a few tips from the American Red Cross to keep you and your family safe!
- Stay alert. Watch for signs of a storm and listen to local news for emergency updates.
- If a severe thunderstorm warning is issued, take shelter in a secure building. Stay away from windows!
- Avoid using electrical equipment and telephones. Use battery-powered TVs and radios instead.
- Do not take a bath, shower, or use plumbing.
- If you are driving, try to safely exit the roadway and park. Stay in the vehicle and turn on the emergency flashers until the heavy rain ends. Avoid touching metal or other surfaces that conduct electricity in and outside the vehicle.
- If you are outside and cannot reach a safe building, avoid high ground; water; tall, isolated trees; and metal objects such as fences or bleachers. Picnic shelters, dugouts and sheds are NOT safe.