It’s that time of year again! Snow has fallen, Christmas music plays on the radio, and the scent of holiday cookies fills the air. We want you to enjoy your holiday season while staying safe. Here are some helpful tips to remember while decorating your home during this joyful time.
- Consider purchasing LED holiday lights; they are cool to the touch and more energy efficient than incandescent bulbs.
- Test holiday lights by connecting each strand before hanging them.
- Make sure there are no broken bulbs or damaged or frayed cords. Discard any defective strands.
- Use holiday lights that include the Underwriter’s Laboratories (UL) label.
- Avoid resting bulbs on tree needles and branches. Try using a clip to keep the bulbs upright.
- Do not overload electrical outlets or extension cords.
- Turn off all indoor and outdoor holiday lighting before leaving the house or going to bed.
- Stay at least 10 feet from outdoor power lines
Follow these simple tips and your holidays will be merry, bright, and most importantly SAFE!